Contact the ArchIndy Creation Care Commission any time if you would like to discuss any of these steps!
- Form a Creation Care Team of at least 2 people. It will grow!
- Complete self assessments and start gathering energy data
- Join the Living Laudato Si’ Sustainability Program offered each summer through the Archdiocese of Indianapolis
- Make some action plans in high impact areas based on best practices
- See what other Creation Care Teams across the Archdiocese have been doing and join our Facebook Community Group
Forming a Creation Care Team
Forming a team is crucial to getting started. Whether it is a pastor and a facility manager, or a couple of parishioners, formalizing your actions and working together will help unite your parish in the common goal of protecting God’s gift of creation.
- Step-by-step guide for starting a Creation Care Team from the Catholic Climate Covenant with guidance for monthly meetings
- Starting a “Laudato Si’ Circle” as described by the Global Catholic Climate Movement as a great way to engage parishioners in the understanding of care for creation.
Self Assessments and Data Gathering
Completing a self-assessment of your physical facility and operations gives you a place to start and a chance to celebrate your current successes! In this assessment from our Living Laudato Si’ Sustainability Program, you will assess high impact areas of:
- Energy Usage
- Waste and Recycling
- Landscaping and Outdoor Space
If you complete the assessments outside of the formal Living Laudato Si’ Sustainability Program, contact us and we will be happy to meet with you via phone or in person to discuss your assessment! This data will be useful in creation your action plans.
Living Laudato Si’ Sustainability Program
Each year starting in May, the Archdiocese of Indianapolis holds a 10 week sustainability program for parishes, schools, and religious communities.
Program components include:
- Deep dive into your self assessments
- Energy audit through your local utility (this part of the program varies depending on your service area)
- Educational workshops
- 1-2 community events to share and learn with others
- Creation of a formal sustainability 12 month action plan
- Communication resources and suggestions
See outcomes and activities from the 2019 pilot program. (Link to a revised LLS page with full report and other info)
Best Practices and Action Plans
After working with parishes across the Archdiocese the past several years, we have identified commonly requested areas which also have high impact. Parishes are so unique across our region and the world, and while there is no “best” practice that fits all, we offer some specific actions your congregation can take:
- Recycling (coming soon)
- Energy Reduction (“Sure Savers” from the IPL Energy Star for Congregations Workbook)
- Food Waste (coming soon)
- Trash (coming soon)
There are other great resources out there! Browse others we have found in our resource library.